Our volunteers are invaluable. Consider joining them!
The volunteer program at Rockford Health System was founded in 1953 by Della Behr, an Auxilian who believed volunteers could be a valuable resource to Rockford Memorial Hospital. The service group began formal operations when the current hospital opened its doors in 1954. By the end of the first year, the group numbered more than 100 volunteers who donated over 18,000 hours. Currently, there are more than 350 volunteers working in over 30 areas of the hospital. They generously donate more than 30,000 hours per year to the hospital.
All volunteers are members of the Rockford Memorial Hospital
Participation in the Auxiliary/Volunteers is available to anyone with an interest. Opportunities include:
- Delivering flowers or mail to hospitalized patients.
- Working in the Auxiliary Gift Shop or
- Cuddling premature and ill newborns in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Assisting with non-medical tasks in a variety of nursing units.
- Transporting patients who are being discharged or who are being treated on an outpatient basis.
- Giving information to visitors at the Visitor Information Desk.
Join us and discover all of the advantages of volunteering!
In 1923, the Rockford Memorial
Hospital Auxiliary was founded by Alma Fringer, a dynamic
physician’s wife and nurse, who was also responsible for
establishing the Visiting Nurses Association.
She suggested that a group organize for the benefit of
Hospital, as it was then
called. The Auxiliary
was organized “for the support of a worthy institution in order that
the best that science has to offer might be made available to all.”
Since its inception, the Auxiliary has raised
over $6 million to help Rockford Health System provide superior
care, every day, for all our patients.
These funds are raised primarily through the Gift Shop within
the hospital, and the Thrift Shop adjacent to the hospital at
2830 Glenwood Ave.
Recent Auxiliary projects included:
Healing Harps music program
Infant CPR training kits for families
of at-risk patients discharged from Pediatrics and NICU
- Support of the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile – a pediatric clinic serving a five-county area.
The Auxiliary takes pride in its long tradition
of service to Rockford Health System and our community.
Anyone with an interest is welcome to join.
For more information, call the Auxiliary office at (815)